Which of these two classic upper-body pushes deserves to be the centerpiece of your program? The answer might surprise you!
Jennifer Lawrence has the right idea about dieting.
“I don’t diet,” she tells Glamour Magazine. “I do exercise! But I don’t diet. You can’t work when you’re hungry, you know?”
We agree! And kudos to Lawrence for speaking out against dieting. At HomeBodyFit we promote a healthy lifestyle and not fad or crash diets. Our clients are encouraged to never diet and instead feed their bodies nutritious foods when hungry in order to keep their energy levels up. HomeBodyFit founder Matt Johnson writes:
In fact, I eat more now than when I was overweight, I simply changed what and when I ate certain foods. I have developed a program that works for me and our clients. We can show you how.
Lawrence also told Glamour, “It’s nice being in shape for a movie, because they basically do it all for you. It’s like, ‘Here’s your trainer. This is what you can eat.”
Learn more about HomeBodyFit’s At-Home Fitness Programs
It used to be that eating before bed was considered to be a big no-no for weight-loss. This is no longer the case. In fact, if you’re working out on a regular basis and eating considerately throughout the day, a bedtime snack is ideal for weight-loss and muscle gain. However, this doesn’t mean that bags of chips and ice cream are on the menu. Instead, choose wisely so that your snack fuels your body and assists with important repair processes. We like sugar-free options…
HomeBodyFit before bed snack examples:
- 1 cup of 0% cottage cheese with a tablespoon of unsweetened peanut or almond butter
- Unsweetened 0% Greek yogurt with cinnamon
- Baked chicken breast with steamed broccoli
However, if you absolutely need something sweet, Cellucor athlete and WBFF Fitness ProJen Jewell (BodyBuilding.com) offers this protein treat which pleases both your taste buds and body.
Protein Cookie Delight
• 3/4 cup frozen or fresh berries
• 3/4 cup raw old-fashioned oats
• 1/3 cup light/unsweetened almond milk
• 2 scoops Cellucor Red Velvet flavored whey protein powder
• Chocolate or rainbow sprinkles (optional, but great when not cutting)
• Honey to taste
1. Place berries in a bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. Once finished, mash with a fork.
2. Add remaining ingredients to create the batter. Make sure to stir thoroughly so all ingredients are evenly mixed.
3. Place 2-3 tablespoons of batter onto a plate to form each cookie, then place in microwave for 45-60 seconds.
4. Remove, let cool for a minute or two and enjoy.
Serving Size: 1 serving
Recipe Yields: 2 servings
Amount per serving
Total Fat 2.5g
Total Carbs 29g
Ask us about our online meal and fitness plans!
Did you know that just hearing that others “can do it” can greatly influence your fitness performance? According to the journal of Psychology of Sport and Exercise, motivation from others can have a very powerful effect on one’s exercise duration and intensity.
The study went like this:
A group of 68 participants were split into two groups and asked to hold a plank for as long as possible. After finishing, the first group was told that a similar group had held their planks for 20 percent longer. The second group was given no feedback.
Following this, the two groups were asked to perform a second plank, again for as long as possible. The researchers found that the first group (who had received the feedback) rated their confidence at 45 percent before the first plank and nearly 60 percent before the second plank, holding their planks for 5 percent longer; whereas the second group’s hold time dropped 18 percent.
Essentially, the study found that if you learn or observe that your peers are doing well, you’re more likely to believe you can too.
So seek out influential stories, talk to friends and family about their fitness efforts and workout in pairs and groups. These can all help boost your confidence and enhance your performance…and don’t forget to let others know about your accomplishments!
Learn more about our couples and group fitness programs including Burlington Body Camp (drop-in tonight for only $15)
[useful_banner_manager banners=2 count=1]
Exclusive Offer! Get 10% Off The Entire MET-Rx line at Bodybuilding.com! Use Promo Code METRX10 Today and Save!
Promo Code: METRX10
Offer Expires: Sep 7, 2014 11:59 PM
Let’s face it…instant gratification feels great and as a society we’re used to wanting (and often getting) the things we desire right away. We like promises and we buy into them all the time…and this phenomenon also applies to fitness. Often people will start new fitness programs with enthusiasm, only to lose their momentum when they don’t start seeing results after a week or two. This disappointment often leads to quitting.
Being personal trainers we’re here to break it to you that when it comes to becoming super fit, you have to leave instant gratification at the door. In fact, you have to forget about the short term altogether and continually focus on the long term benefits of sticking to your fitness and eating plan. It’s this ability that separates the quitters from the super fit…and will lead you to success. If you’re able to master this mindset, you will no longer feel deprived when forgoing those bag of chips or give into the couch when it’s time to workout. In fact, your long term goals will become more meaningful than any instant pleasures.
So forget about the short term sacrifices and stop focusing on what you see in the mirror after only a few weeks. Master this secret to success and you will feel and see the effects you desire. Our clients often tell us that friends and family eventually started asking them want they “did” to acquire their healthier and stronger physique…and when this happens you too can tell them the “secret” – it’s due to a lot of hard work and a series of “fit decisions” made everyday.
Interested in making a change in your life? Contact us about our at-home and online fitness training programs today!
[useful_banner_manager banners=1 count=1]
These dips are an excellent exercise for the tricep and will get you tank-top ready in no time.
How to do a tricep dip:
- On a secured bench, stable chair or even on the ground, position your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Extend your legs out in front of you (or bend your knees if this is too challenging) and slide your butt off the front of the bench.
- Straighten your arms while keeping a slight bend in your elbows (you want to focus the tension on your triceps).
- Now that you’re in position, slowly bend your elbows to a 90-degree angle, lowering your body toward the floor – keeping your back close to the bench. This is the bottom of the movement.
- Immediately press down into the bench, straightening your elbows – returning to the top of the movement. This is one rep.Note: Concentrate on keeping your shoulders down as you do each rep.
Tabata Tricep Dips Circuit (Advanced)
Do as many dips as you can for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. Repeat eight times. To make this exercise more challenging, start with your legs extended straight out in front of you (switching to bent knees if you need to).
At HomeBodyFit, we’re big fans of tricep dips. Why? Because they help develop powerful and defined triceps…and you can do them anywhere…at home on the floor or on the bottom of the stairs…or even on a pack bench!
Want a full body Tabata workout that will sculpt and tone from head to toe? Learn more about our at-home and online fitness and meal plan services here!
[useful_banner_manager banners=2 count=1]
Enjoy the beautiful summer weather AND get in shape with Burlington’s most comprehensive boot camp.
The benefits are astonishing:
- Just seeing the colour green can make you feel more energized
- Affordable (only $12/class)
- Scorches calories (with high intensity circuits)
- Strength Training (with battle ropes, hand weights, etc.)
- Resistance runs (with exercise bands and hill runs)
- Build confidence (you will be challenged)
- No monotonous routines (every session is different)
- Encouraging and friendly atmosphere
Starts: July 23, 2014
When: Mondays & Wednesdays, 7pm or 8pm
Where: Sidrebene Park (just north of Dundas on Alppleby)
Cost: $192 ($12/class) for 8 weeks/16 sessions + two FREE make-up classes ($96 for 8 weeks/8 sessions)